Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I'm a neglectant blogger

Well I’ve been pretty slack with my blog over the past while. I keep on meaning to update it but sometimes it’s a big effort just to update one little thing. So unfortunately its long again.

1 - HEROES DVD: Last Thursday my Heroes Season 1 DVD arrived from the States. I waited a lot longer but saved about AUD20-30. Its such a cool dvd and I really enjoyed the commentary for the unaired season pilot.

2 - TIGER AIRLINES: Today Tiger released new flights destinations from Melbourne to Canberra, Newcastle & Launceston & so they had sales. I purchased a return ticket to Perth and one way tickets to Canberra & the Gold Coast. Still managing to get the cheap fares, without working for an airline J

3 - 2008 NRL Draw this was released on 13th October, about a month earlier than other years. I have already planned what games I hope to goto next year which are 2 away Brisbane games & an away Titans game, but that will depend on the actual timing of the games. Well now I guess I can celebrate the off season with the cricket games and extra sleeping

4 - WORK WISE: For those who don’t know I started a new job over 2 weeks ago (15th October), still working in accounts department but for a consulting engineering company. It’s been pretty crazy & the finance team has not really been all in the office at the same time… I mean when in a two week period you take into consideration training courses, study leave, duty travel, bereavement leave & annual leave, all leave aspects are pretty well covered. And now for the next week we have a guy come over from NZ to help us out. Thursday lunch we will have a “Welcome to the Team” lunch for me. And then on Friday afternoon we are having our monthly staff meeting, so that should be interesting. A couple of the distinct differences are that I have to travel longer to work, but I’m enjoying it and today was the first day I walked from work to Flinders Street station after work (not really sure how awake I’ll be of a morning to do it but that’s the aim too), we have casual (including jeans). One of the corporate team each week also arranges morning tea for the Friday & someone collects the coffee/chocolate orders. Last week we had the theme of “Cookies & Cream” – black & white day. This week we have the theme of “Halloween” wear red, orange or black or pumpkins. So its nice to stop work & have a break to socialize.

Finished up at MH on 5 October was surely an interesting experience. On the last day I had lunch at the Imperial Hotel, which I thought was really nice but I failed to make one specification with my booking, to ensure we were seated downstairs. Anyway Trav joined us for a beer or too & I had a couple of raspberry vodkas J so it was all awesome. I was given as a farewell gift

5. HOLIDAY IN QUEENSLAND: (6th-13th October 2007).
Saturday 6th October - Melbourne to Brisbane
Flight was delayed & arrived in Melbourne about 10pm. It was hot. Took off my jacket & didn't put on again for the whole trip.

Sunday 7th October – Steam Train Ride (Brisbane)
Went on a Steam Train Ride run by the QR (Queensland Rail) with my friends Vikki & her husband Paul & their two children Karl & Toby. (Pictures of train below). It was a lovely train ride from Roma Street to Pinkenba in North east Brisbane suburbs. Played cards in the evening

Monday 8th October
Today the big event of the morning was heading off to the hospital & looking after the kids, whilst in the car short parking area. Karl & I watched some of the “Mr Men” dvd that I had bought for the kids. The main one was Mr Strong but their were some of his friends too. I stayed the night with my mother at Ascot as she was housesitting. Today was absolutely stinking hot.

Tuesday 9th October – Petrie, Brisbane
Today I visited my friend I went to school with, Nicole in Petrie & her little son. It was really nice to spend the day with them. Nicole needed to fix the muffler on the car so we headed off to accomplish that errand. We also had a look at the beds in the furniture shops across the road. There are some interesting beds out there for kids & adults that’s for sure. There was a very big storm brewing up and I was driving back to Goodna for the evening. I stopped at Ascot on the way to avoid the storm & heavy rain.

Wednesday.10th October – Millmerran
At 9am I drove to Millmerran so that I could visit my Oma & Opa. They are slowly deteriorating but that is I guess what happens to us when we get old.
Once we arrived in Millmerran we firstly headed off to the council to check out the procedure & cost of plots at the local lawn cemetery. Opa wants to be buried with Oma so we needed to know what to do.
We then had some lunch at the B&B café. I had a normal burger, not the works burger, a coffee & half of the lemon cheesecake. It was delicious.
We then went & visited Opa & Oma & during the visit Opa gave me this gold cross that was worn by my great, great, great grandmother in the Austrian war in 1850 so this is very special & I need to look after this.

Thursday 11th October – Lazy day
Today was a pretty relaxing day. In the afternoon I drove over to Ascot & then got a train to meet my friend Belinda for dinner. We had dinner at a place called the “Jackpot Noodle” in
Toowong. It was cheap but delicious nice Chinese. If you are ever anywhere near that area I would surely recommend it.

Friday 12th October – Mapleton, Gympie & Currimundi
Today I went for a big drive with my mother.
Had lunch at “Fish Tales”, a seafood shop that family friends own in Mapleton Queensland. During lunch we had a lovely view of the surrounding lily ponds. Lunch was a “Mountain Burger” or a burger with the lot (including egg & bacon), less beetroot with a couple of calamari’s. It was very filling and satisfying.
After spending about 2 hours at the café we then headed off to Gympie to visit my parents’ old
neighbours’, Tamara, Michael & Talia. We arrived just after 3pm & Talia had fallen asleep so we just talked for a while. When Talia (3 years) woke up she was full of beans. I went & played with her & read her a book. We had dinner at the club & it was a buffet. I enjoyed the Parma & also the veggies.
We then headed off about 8.30pm to our friends at Currimundi. We talked with them for about an hour & mother picked up some shells.
We then headed off to Goodna, arriving home about 1.30am. I didn’t get to sleep until about 3am.

Saturday 13th October – Flight back to Melbourne
Today I flew back to Melbourne refreshed & ready for starting new job on Monday 15th.

No comments: